barn sale

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pain, Pain, Go Away

I had a great day this past Saturday!  My parents and me and the kids went to Indy to celebrate my Aunt Karen's birthday (Kevin worked till 6am Saturday, so he slept and didn't join the party!).  With our Florida trip fast approaching, I thought it would be good for the kids to get a days worth of driving in them!  We also made plans to have lunch with my BFF Candice, whom I've not seen since August of last year! 

Lunch was great.  Allie really loved Candice and she even said (yelled) her name many times.  The party was great too.  The kids got to play with cousins that they see usually just once a year.  The food was great (I maybe had two pieces of chocolate chip pie...).  The ride home...... not so great.  At the time it didn't seem too bad, but I knew my back was hurting as soon as I stood up (when I got home).  After both kids were in bed, I went straight to bed.  I woke up Sunday morning and hobbled into the kitchen to make breakfast.  I could barely sit and put my makeup on to get ready for church.  During church I had pain shooting through my hips, down into my legs.  I really felt like my back was broke!  I'd never ever had back pain quite like that in my life.  When I got home I laid with the heating  pad for hours.  I tried taking some extra strength Tylenol.  I tried some pain relieving creams.  I tried different stretches to loosen my back up.  Nothing was helping. 

After a 2nd night of sleeping horribly, I decided I'd call the doctor as soon as they opened.  In the meantime I thought I'd google some more things I could do to take the edge off the pain.  I did see wearing a back support may help.  Mine is packed away with maternity clothes, but I have a very tight fitting spanx knock off I put on.  I also saw that some people find relief with ice instead of heat (the heating pad did nothing for me the day before!)... so I got out an ice pack.  I sat on the couch for about on hour and felt like the sharp pains were more dull.  I stood up, did some dishes, felt more pain, and went and sat back down so I didn't over do it.  I probably had ice on my back for 10 hours yesterday, and it really did help!  I'm still not nearly 100%, but I'm trying to ease my way back into things that need done and not over due it.  So, the moral of the story is, I'm a lot more sympathetic to people with back pain than ever before.... and I'm also getting a bit nervous for our drive to Florida!  

No comments:

Post a Comment