When I first started this blog about a month ago, I was thinking of possible topics to blog about. One thing on the list was stretch marks. I have them. Lots of them. I guess that's to be expected when you gain 51lbs and have a 10 1/2lb newborn baby your first pregnancy. Wowza. After I had my big boy Hayden, I hated my body. I thought I'd never get my shape back and I knew my skin would never be the same. When I had Allie, I didn't think I could get another stretch mark, but I was wrong. They just appeared in new places! I wasn't as mad about them the 2nd time around though. My recovery with Allie was a lot better because I had a new attitude. I wasn't as focused on getting my old body back. I was more interested in getting healthy and feeling good about the body I have.
I will admit, I did buy some Bio-Oil like 3 months ago. I used it a few days, but I just felt defeated before I really started using it. (If anyone wants the bottle the can have it.) I have read many articles saying you can do alot about the appearance of stretch marks, but you pretty much can't get rid of them without going to extreme (surgical) measures. So I had a heart to heart with myself. I knew I had stretch marks for a reason, and if the only reason was to remind me of how lucky I am to have 2 wonderful kids, then they are worth it. No more trying to get rid of them, they are a part of me.
Last week I joined a program at our church called Daughters of the King. Every Wednesday a large group of women meet together for worship then break up into small groups (you choose your group before the semester starts and I chose the Focus on the Family group). The book we are working through this semester is called "Am I Messing Up My Kids" by Lysa TerKeurst. I'm only on chapter 5 and I can tell you this book has changed my morning routine, my thoughts on mothering, and how I speak to my kids. I can't wait to see the effects of this book months and years from now.
The reason I brought up this book is because Lysa has a chapter titled "Why Do I Always Feel So Stretched?". Here are some of my favorite thoughts from this chapter.
"A strange sense of pride welled up in my heart as I realized these scars made me like Jesus in a way. I gave of my life to make new life possible. I carried this new person and took on their weight. I was stretched almost beyond what I could bear. My experience left me scarred and forever marked. But the product of these scars is a joy I could not have any other way."... "I have been called to die to the selfishness that characterized my life before kids. Life was about me back then. My schedule, my needs, my wants, my time, my money, my desires, my dreams, my plans dictated how I spent my life.".. "He wanted my life to be about Him and His plans for me." ... "Giving my body gave my kids a chance at life." ... "In His resurrection, He could have come back without the scars on His hands, feet, and side, but He left them there.".... "I think He left them because He wanted to. He came to love not the scars themselves, but what the scars accomplished. He was called to be the Savior of the world, and He did it. I am called to be a mom, and I'm doing it."
So after reading that chapter, I was like bring on the stretch marks! Ha :) I just loved her perspective and wanted to share.
If you area interested in buying the book, the Vineyard sells it for $11.99 plus tax or you can click here and buy one on Amazon!

Smart girl!!!! Mom :)
ReplyDelete