barn sale

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chicken Soft Tacos

I'm on a kick with these new recipes!  Anytime we have tacos, it's with ground beef.  I found a chicken marinade recipe in the Grocery Shrink E-book that sounded delish.  (I am not going to post the recipes that come out of any of these E-books, so if you want the recipe, just buy the book(s).  The set of 3 is $12 and they are wonderful!  I refer to mine often.)

I did make my own flour tortillas again.  This time I used white flour instead of wheat because the hubs whines when I use wheat.  Here's the recipe:
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
Stir together dry ingredients. Gradually stir in enough warm water to form a crumbly dough, then work dough with your hands until it holds together. Turn out on a board and knead till smooth.
Divide into 12 pieces and shape each in a smooth ball. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes. Flatten one ball into a 4 or 5 inch circle, then roll to a 9 inch round, rolling from the center to the edges.
(I used my pastry cloth).
Place on a preheated griddle or heavy wide frying pan or electric griddle set at 375. Almost immediately blisters will appear. Turn tortilla over and press all over with a wide spatula. Turn tortilla again and press on the other side until blisters turn a golden brown. If tortilla sticks or browns too quickly, reduce the heat. Stack tortillas as cooked inside a folded cloth in plastic bag. Close bag and let steam.

Kevin says these are the best tortillas he's ever tasted.  I liked their consistency.  It took me about an hour to make 12, but I'm hoping to cut that time down the more I make them.  Definitely a "keeper" though.

Kevin used his new charcoal grill for the first time today.  He did a great job on the chicken!  I told him next time I'm going to double or triple this recipe and use the chicken throughout the week (in salads, in tacos, or just by itself!)  It's nice having a hubby that will do the grilling :)

We topped our tacos with lettuce, cheese, ortega sauce, & Kevin put ranch on his.  I did buy tomatoes for the kids, and I took a nibble off one, but left them off my taco.  I'm still not over the fish experience and the concept of trying something new.  Maybe next time?  The verdict on the tacos = A-MAZ-ING! Kevin says he wants them once a month.  I couldn't agree more!



No comments:

Post a Comment