barn sale

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Feeling Guilty

I went to Old Navy last week when all their women's clearance was an extra half off.  I picked up 3 shirts that totaled about $10 and I just thought, "How can I spend $10 on shirts for me when I don't have all the kids winter clothes bought yet?"  So I put them back and left the mall.  I was given a $10 gift card to JCPenney and I told Kevin I may go look for something for myself.  When I got there, I thought I could probably find some summer clearance things for Allie or Hayden for next year, and that would be a better purchase, so I made my way upstairs and bypassed my section.  Am I the only one that does this?  Why do I feel guilty when it comes to buying things for myself?

In my book I'm reading for my Daughters of the King class, there is a chapter that talks about this!  Lysa (the author of the book) suggested making a list of little things that make your heart happy.  Hey, if Lysa says I can do it, than by gosh I NEED to do it! :)  Here's my list of things (I'm going to continue adding to this!):
  1. Chick Fil A lemonade
  2. Homemade cookies
  3. Walks by the river
  4. Libs chocolate
  5. Colored ink pens
  6. Walking through Hobby Lobby
  7. Reading a magazine
  8. Getting my wedding ring cleaned
  9. Buying a new piece of clothing
  10. Bargain shopping (it's an addiction really)
In the book she closes the chapter by saying, "I want to teach my kids that it doesn't mean you are a worldly person if you happen to find a little joy in the things of this world that bring your heart comfort."  And since God made the world and everything in it, why not find some joy in it?  At our monthly budget committee meeting tomorrow, I'm going to talk to Kevin about putting some money back for ourselves, so when we want a little treat, there will be no guilt in it.

*Side note* This guilty feeling is something that must happen after you give birth.  Until I had kids, I never once felt guilty about buying stuff for myself, even if it was very expensive and totally unnecessary.  Maybe my head is telling me to slow down because things like braces and college will be needing funded before I can blink.  Either way, I'm going to start making it a point to do little things for myself AND not feel guilty about it!

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing. My birthday money this year, was spent on the kids. I just can't buy for me.

    ReplyDelete