barn sale

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip

For two or three years my sister Whitney and my BFF Whitney have told me I needed to try pumpkin chocolate chip bread.  I love pumpkin cake, but I just couldn't imagine chocolate with my pumpkin.  Eww.  Well, in the spirit of fall, I decided to make some for my dinner get together tonight :)  The recipe calls for 2 loaf pans, but I just love mini desserts, so I made them into little baby bundt cakes instead. I actually made this recipe two times in the last 12 hours because the first time I forgot the sugar (uuuggghhh)!  I don't think I've ever made such a big "oops" and it definitely didn't taste the same with out that major ingredient!

The verdict:  Oh My Gosh.  What have I been missing?  The 2 flavors compliment each other so well... I love this!



I got the recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

*Makes 2 (9X5-inch loaves) or 3 (8X4-inch loaves)
2 ½ cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2/3 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans or three 8×4-inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, mix flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together canned pumpkin, oil, eggs and 2/3 cup water until well combined and stir into dry ingredients, just until the dry ingredients are moistened and no dry streaks remain. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter in prepared pans.
Bake the bread for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Run a knife gently around the edge of the bread and turn the bread out, right side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This bread freezes beautifully. After cooling, wrap the bread in a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of tin foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.

Any other fall desserts I've been missing out on that I need to try?!  If the recipe includes fish I'm not interested :)

3 comments:

  1. It's about time you jumped on board with this combination! It's dangerous. Maybe you should overnight me some of these so I can see how they compare to my recipe?? Did Kevin eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent some home with everyone that came over for dinner and even took the neighbors some and I still have leftovers! I'm sure they will be gone tomorrow!

    I made Kevin try them and he thought they were good but preferred the s'more bars. We'll see what he eats tonight while I'm sleeping...

    Is your recipe much different than that one?

    ReplyDelete