barn sale

Monday, May 21, 2012

Saving $ on Food While Vacationing

When we are on vacation, one thing we try to do to save money is have everyone get water when we go out to eat.  There are some exceptions - if the kids meals come with a drink, we'll let them get diluted lemonade or juice - or if I'm at Cheeseburger In Paradise, I splurge on a strawberry virgin daiquiri. 

One of the other biggest money savers for us is not eating out for every meal!  Our condo had a nice kitchen that was stocked with just about every thing you'd need.  (I brought a few kitchen gadgets along with me just in case the kitchen wasn't as stocked as I'd imagined.)  We tried to eat at the condo for 7 out of the 21 meals we'd need to eat during our 7 day vacation and I bought all our snacks ahead of time (I did buy some fresh produce like oranges, bananas, and apples when we went to the store).  I made a menu and grocery list for every day just like I do while I'm home and it was a success!  I think next year (assuming we're able to go back) my goal will be to eat out only 1/2 the the time!

We had a lovely screened in porch with a table and chairs that we enjoyed all our meals at!  There was a fountain right outside of the porch and it was nice back ground noise!
Kevin made breakfast one morning - fried bacon, eggs, and biscuits - I cut up the oranges!
I made taco dip one morning before we headed to the beach and it made for a quick/easy dinner that night!
I marinated rib eyes and Kevin grilled them for us - the whole delicious dinner cost about $15!  

One of our favorite lunches were ham sandwiches with colby jack cheese, lettuce, and bacon on a bun.  We'd eat our sandwich with chips and fruit :)  It was a great, cheap lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment