
I have been pretty upfront about my challenges with owning a pup. Everyday seems to present a new challenge and some days it's a bit overwhelming. (Like in the last 24 hours he's decided it's fun to attack and kill birds - and when they are still alive and squawking and flapping he wants to show me... and I did have a mild break down about that...) We decided it was best (for my sanity) to keep TJ outside. He has stopped going potty in the house (we are on day 7 today), but he is still a bit nippy, and still eats everything in sight. There is a lot in our yard to chase and he will have more than enough room to roam! Our barn also has a doggy door so he will be allowed to go in there too. We are having an electric fence installed today so that will ease my mind about him getting in the street (or pooping in a neighbors yard).
I think it's going to be a month long process before he's officially out. I think for now I'll just keep him out during the days and let him sleep inside at night. I'm most worried about him barking all night, so that's why I'm thinking we'll make slow changes to get him where we want him.
I have read lots of articles about Australian Shepherds needing mental stimulation, so right now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that in his every day routine once he's outside. If not mentally stimulated, they dig/bark/chew - and Lord knows I don't need any more of that. If you have any tips for mental stimulation, please share! We're enrolling him in all the dog obedience classes once we get back from Florida. They say a trained dog is a happy dog, so that's our goal.
Any and all prayers for my sanity are appreciated :)
No comments:
Post a Comment