barn sale

Friday, January 13, 2012

Chemical Pregnancy

Earlier this week I had an appointment with Dr. Cave.  It was my first appointment with the doctor since miscarrying December 15th.  I waited about an hour and a half to be seen and I kept questioning if I should even stay.  I felt like she wasn't going to tell me anything I didn't already know.  But, I stuck it out.  I'm really glad I did.

When she walked in the room, she went over all the medical info (when I went to the hospital, what my ultrasound showed, what my lab results were, etc).  She said she knew by the information that I had a chemical pregnancy.  I had never heard that term before, but she explained it to me.  She said that the sperm did fertalize the egg, but one of them didn't have the correct DNA information, if any.  So since the egg was fertalized, I started producing the pregnancy hormone hCG, my body felt pregnant, I got the positive test, but nothing ever developed because the lack of DNA.

She also told me that I am not at a higher risk for another miscarriage.  That eased my mind.  In the future, when I take a positive home pregnancy test, she wants me to call her office and go in for blood work immediately.  That way they can check my levels of hCG and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.  That made me feel better too!

We're hopeful that this year (or next) God will bless us with another little baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment