barn sale

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Caramel Corn Recipe

Everyone in my family (with a couple exceptions) loves caramel corn!  The problem is no one likes to make it - except me!  There are several little steps, lots of microwaving and stirring, but I don't mind making it because I LOVE eating it!

Yesterday Kevin and I had a date night.  Before we left and while the kids were napping, I thought I'd make some caramel corn for them as a special treat after their dinner.  I've seen so many recipes for caramel corn, and I bet they are all probably delicious, but I've only tried this 1 recipe (my moms) and don't have the desire to try any others.  I tried to include lots of pictures to help with any confusion :)

Here it is:
Popcorn:  1 C popping corn (the kernels)
4 Tbsp oil (I like using Orville Redenbacher's Buttery Flavor Popcorn Oil)
I pop my popcorn in a WhirleyPop.  They are super fun!  The kids actually love watching me make it!  I make 2 batches of popcorn (so do 1/2 C of seeds with 2Tbsp oil per batch).  Once popped, lay it all on wax paper, lightly salt it, then pick out the un-popped kernels. 
This is a WhirleyPop. 
After popping, I laid it out, salted it, then picked kernals out before transferring it into the brown bag.
Put the popped corn in a brown bag sprayed with Pam.  I get my brown bags from Aldi (I think they are 6 or 7 cents each, and you can still get them at Schnucks instead of plastic!).  You'll need to cut off the top of the bag so it fits in your microwave.


Caramel:  1 C brown sugar, 1/2 C butter, 1/4 C light corn syrup, 1/2 tsp salt - combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl.  Microwave 2 minutes.  Remove and stir well.  Microwave 1 minute.  Remove and stir well.  Microwave 1 more minute.  Remove and add 1 tsp baking soda, then stir until the entire mixture is foamy.

Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn (don't just dump it all in the middle; works better if you do globs throughout).  With a wooden spoon, stir well.  Microwave 1 min 20 seconds then stir.  Microwave another 1 min 20 seconds then stir again.  Microwave 30 seconds and stir.  If the popcorn isn't sticky, it's done.  I have to microwave mine another 30 seconds.  Dump the caramel corn on the wax paper to cool.


*Note* Your microwave times may need slightly adjusted.  I have a 1000W microwave, so if you do too then your microwave times should be very comparable!
Also, make sure every time it says to stir the popcorn/caramel mixture, you stir VERY well!  How well your caramel corn turns out largely depends on how well you stir (not enough stirring = lots of burned pieces)!  The corners and the bottom are the "burn" areas!
When it's cooling, look for any burned pieces. 
Hope you all enjoy this treat as much as we do!!!

2 comments:

  1. This corn is GREAT!! have not tasted any better., the only problem is that once you start eating it you can not stop

    mamaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tutorial but I think I'll leave carmel corn making up to you since you are so good at it :)

      Delete