Kevin and I agreed to really cut back on Christmas gifts and hustle and bustle and all those stressful feeling Christmas can bring and focus on what Christmas is really about. Jesus. Family. Giving. Celebrating. #1 on our list of things that is going to change this year and become a tradition for us.... each child will only get 3 gifts. One big, main gift, then something small, like an ornament, and something else little, like maybe their favorite snack or candy. We decided this for a few reasons. Last year I went over board on gifts for the kids. The whole day, Hayden just wanted to play with a $12.95 guitar ornament I got him from the Hallmark store. He could have cared less about the other $150+ worth of
So, the fun part... We decided Allie's big gift would be a kitchen set. Hayden may enjoy it more than she does this year, but I know she will love it. We set a tight budget for gifts ($75 max per child) and I've been looking on craigslist daily to find one. Today was the day! I found one in excellent condition for $30. It cost $85 brand new. Why by brand new when you can buy something that looks brand new for less than half the cost!? Here's a picture of it. We're picking it up tomorrow :)
I'm still on the hunt for Hayden's big gift. I'm not going to spill the beans about what we've decided to get him. The hard part will be finding it used... I may have to buy it new. BUT we're going garage sale shopping the next month and have our fingers crossed. Oh and Kevin may get to put some handy work in to Hayden's gift, which will make it even more special!
(Christmas 2010: Both kids were sick with fevers in the 102s. I couldn't keep them down. Allie went to the ER on Christmas Eve... we're really sure this years Christmas will be better than last!)




You are not alone. I start shopping for christmas shortly after the first of the year for the next one. Alan & I have a $10 limit per a kid unless they are niece or nephew. And then we also have a limit we spend on our siblings and parents. And in both our families you are cut off at 18 thankfully! As both our families are huge!!
ReplyDelete