Tonight Kevin and I had one of our bi-monthly dinner dates. This is something we started doing a couple months ago and we're really glad we're taking some time for ourselves. I had thought Kevin and I would just run into a fast food place and have dinner together. My parents came over to watch the kiddos and I had prepared a dinner in the crock pot. After smelling this new recipe cook all day, I was really wanting to try it too! So we opted for a better plan. We packed up some of what I made, took it to the river, and had a nice quiet dinner watching the barges go by :) Definitely going to do this kinda date more often! And the double bonus - it didn't cost any money! Here's the recipe:
Hearty Burritos
1 lb ground beef (or turkey), browned
2 cups refried beans
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 burrito size flour tortillas
1. In a large bowl, mix beef, beans rice and spices.
2. Place a rounded half cup of the beef mixture and ¼ cup cheese on
each tortilla.
3. Fold up burrito style
4. Place in a greased slow cooker.
5. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Make sure you buy burrito sized tortillas. I didn't and should have. Or if you're feeling really spunky, make your own! Here's a recipe. I'd like to try to make my own next time!
2 cups refried beans
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 burrito size flour tortillas
1. In a large bowl, mix beef, beans rice and spices.
2. Place a rounded half cup of the beef mixture and ¼ cup cheese on
each tortilla.
3. Fold up burrito style
4. Place in a greased slow cooker.
5. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
I actually turned my crockpot to the warm setting about 4 hours into it b/c my tortilla shells were looking a little crispy. Maybe it was because I didn't use big enough tortilla shells?
We topped ours with a homemade queso sauce (which was awesome), mild ortega, and Kevin added sour cream to his. You can buy already made queso sauce to save time. It would also have been good with lettuce (and probably tomatoes if you like them). I'll definitely be making these again!
*This recipe was adapted from Slow & Savory Suppers E-book by Angela Coffman*
LOVE my crockpot too. I'm gonna give your recipe a try.
ReplyDelete