- Put away his toys before he goes to bed.
- Take out the trash (once a week) in the hall bathroom and help me clean a couple days. (Which usually consist of me giving him a wet rag and asking him to wipe any spots he sees off the floor - and he LOVES doing it!)
- Put his clothes in the laundry basket and his shoes in his shoe basket before he goes to bed.
Now there are things we expect him to do and not get paid for. We are teaching him to take his plate to the sink when he is done with dinner. We also are teaching him, if he makes a mess, he needs to clean it up. You get the idea. He's not going to get paid for doing things we just expect him to do. I want jobs 1 & 3 to be something he just does - so those will be the first things to get replaced as he gets a bit older.
Sometimes before we leave for an errand during the day, he'll say, "Oh I have to pick up all my toys so I can get a smiley for that". I feel like this money lesson we're trying to teach him is also teaching him how to be a better listener. I usually remind him just once or twice about picking up his shoes, or putting away his toys, and he's all over it. He is very anxious to get his smiley faces at night. He goes to bed happy and proud of himself for his hard work.
No comments:
Post a Comment