barn sale

Monday, August 15, 2011

china cabinet

I'm always full of ideas - ideas that cost money. Kevin usually rolls his eyes to most of these ideas. When I brought up buying a china cabinet, he rolled his eyes at first. A new one costs @ $1000+, but he thought I had a good idea with using it to display our fiesta ware. Then I found this beauty online.
This person found an older china cabinet and with a coat of paint gave it new life! Then my search began. I was on the hunt for an older china cabinet and had a goal of keeping it under $300. I did some searching on craigslist and found 2 shops in Huntingburg that seemed to have some potential. I took a little trip up there and before I left was the proud owner of this !

I know, it doesn't look that great from the pics, but I saw lots of potential. I liked that it was wider than most china cabinets I've seen, and that the arches on the tops of each pane matched the arches in my cabinets. And those weird 70's doors at the bottom - well I thought they might look modern once painted. It was a gamble, but for $140 I couldn't pass it up!
Here's where the progress stands on the china cabinet
Looking much better huh?? Now here's what I'm thinking still needs to be done/changed....
1. There is too much space between the shelves, so I want them rebuilt. Not sure if we'll go with three or four shelves.
2. I thought it would look so nice to paint this china cabinet the color of my kitchen cabinets, but now I'm thinking maybe a yellow or lemongrass color would really make the fiesta pop...
3. It came with a lovely light inside that needs to be painted and reinstalled.
For now, it works, but I really want it to be a showcase - and we aren't quite there yet. By the way, I really liked how those funky bottom doors painted. I see modern, not 70s!



No comments:

Post a Comment