barn sale

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ham & Potato Alfredo

Update 3/3/14:  I made this recipe in the oven instead of the crockpot and we loved it even more this way!  It was more saucy and cooked perfectly!  I layered everything in a 9x13 pan just like the instructions say.  I also added the cheese before baking, but I covered it with foil.  I baked it at 375* for 1 hour.  This is a family favorite of ours! 

I've been on the search for new recipes the last several weeks.  Actually my goal is to come up with 2 (or maybe 3) months of meals with out me repeating the same things over and over.  I had some leftover ham in the freezer that was needing used, so I was on the hunt for a recipe that called for cubed ham.  I ran across this recipe for Ham & Potato Alfredo.  All the ingredients are things I eat (with the exception of the green bell pepper, but I'm trying to expand the list of food I like!)  It's also a crock pot meal and who doesn't love a good crock pot meal?!
Ingredients:
2 lb red medium-size red potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
1/3 c chopped green bell pepper
2 cups cooked ham, cubed 
1 jar Alfredo pasta sauce (I use Newmans alfredo sauce) 
1/2 c milk (2% works better than skim)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 c shredded Parmesan cheese
 
Instructions:
Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Layer half each of the potatoes, bell pepper and ham in the crockpot.
        In a medium bowl, mix Alfredo, milk and pepper; spoon half of the mixture on top of the ham. Layer with the remaining potatoes, ham and bell pepper. Pour the remaining sauce mixture on top. (Do Not Stir)  Cover; cook on Low heat for 6-8 hours.
        About 5 minutes before serving, stir mixture gently. Then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and replace lid until cheese has melted.
 
Kevin was anxious to try the new recipe, so it was dinner on Tuesday.  He ended up sleeping through dinner, so I tried it first.  I served it with cornbread and they complimented each other perfectly!  If I had the ingredients for a toss salad, that would have been a nice touch too - maybe next time.  But, there will definitely be a next time.  Kevin RAVED about the recipe.  He loved everything about it!  Next time you have some leftover ham, give this recipe a try!

P.S.  I used that Newman brand alfredo sauce.  The recipe calls for a 16oz jar of alfredo, and this was a 15oz jar.  I'd definitely recommend it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment