barn sale

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

tHaNkFuL

Last night was a typical Monday night for us.  We had our Refuge group at church (Financial Peace University).  The kids night was very normal.  They were themselves all evening and we had no idea the night was going to get as messy as it did! 

We put Hayden to bed right at 9.  He complained his ear hurt and I told him if it was still bothering him in the morning we'd go see the doctor.  About 10pm Hayden woke up screaming and crying.  My first thought was, "He must have an ear infection."  I took some Tylenol into his room along with the thermometer.  He wouldn't drink the medicine, so I went to take his temp.  It said 97.4.  I was shocked it was reading so low.  I did it again, and got the same #.  I came in the kitchen and took mine and Kevin's temp and the thermometer seemed to be working right.  About 30 minutes later, Hayden woke up again crying saying he wanted someone to hold him.  In the 30 mins he was quiet, I was googling why your temp would drop.  I just kept thinking of this conversation I had with my SNL when she told me my niece's temp dropped, and they found out her organs were on the way to shutting down because of a bad infection she had.  I went back in and took his temp.  96.4.  Kevin offered to hold him under several blankets to see if we could get him warmed back up.  After about an hour it was back at 97.0.  We laid Hayden back in bed with a total of 6 blankets and called the after hours # for the peditrician.  At 1am, after waking Hayden up to get a rectal temp (not fun), the nurse said she thought we'd be ok for the night but to watch his temp and make sure it didn't get below 96.8 rectally. 

As Kevin and I were preparing for bed and discussing all that just happened with Hayden, we heard a horrible cough/gag/growl/I don't know what come out of Allie's room.  I looked at Kevin and said, "She just puked - I know it."  We took one step into her room and was knocked down by the smell.  We turned on her light and realized this was the 3rd time she had thrown up.  She was covered!  Kevin gave her a bath while I stripped all the bedding.  After her bath, she proceeded to throw up another 4 times - mostly on Kevin.  At 2:30am, we set up a bed made of lots of big blankets on our bedroom floor.  Kevin slept next to Allie and told me he would stay awake with her and he wanted me to get some sleep.  I was physically exhausted but mentally wide awake.  After about an hour of tossing and turning I fell asleep.  I woke up just before 6am and Kevin was in bed with me, so I went and laid next to Allie.  She woke up @ 7:30 this morning and seemed 100% healthy, just a little tired.  Hayden woke up right after Allie and he seemed just fine too.  I was half out of it thinking "How are they acting so normal?!" 

Kevin slept till 10am, I slept from 10-12 today, now Kevin is sleeping 1-4.  I've never had a night like that with both kids - ever.  I am SO thankful Kevin was off work last night.  I really don't know how I would have handled all that by myself.  I don't know how all that sickness came and went so fast.  I'm thankful that they are both feeling better and hopeful they catch up on their sleep today.  I just felt really fortunate to have a husband that is so willing to take care of our kids, get puked on, and then tell me to get some sleep!  What a guy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment