barn sale

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Neti Pot

Our family has had a cold for close to 2 weeks.  Kevin and I have had it worse than our kids.  I'm not a fan of taking lots of meds.  I'd rather let it run it's course and use a humidifier and some Vicks Vapor Rub.  (If I'm absolutely miserable and can't function I will take medicine.)  Susanne, the girl that teaches at Mother's Morning Out with me, was telling me today about Neti Pot.  It sounded incredibly weird, but I thought it may work.  It was $14.12 at Walmart. 

How it works:  You will need to buy distilled water (or boil your own water at home and let it cool).  You mix 8oz water with 1 packet (which is filled with some type of salt).  Gently shake the pot.  You put the spout into one of your nostrils, lean your head forward and slightly tilted, and start pouring the water in your nose.  It will run out the other nostril.  It's a bit messy, but it really does help open your nose up!  I used it about an hour ago and my nose is still really clear. 
I have never used a nose spray, so I don't know how this compares to that.  It was a weird sensation having water run from one side of your nose out the other.  *Note* If you tilt your head up while doing a treatment, all that salty snot water runs into your mouth.... not that I would know....

I should have taken some pictures of me using it because I'm sure it looks hilarious.  Maybe Kevin can be my Neti model!  There's a lot of information about this on the internet.  Look into it if you have sinus or allergy problems or just have a congested nose like I do :)


No comments:

Post a Comment