barn sale

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Attitude is Everything

That saying in the bible (Galations 6:7), "You reap what you sow" has given me some new thoughts about my attitude lately.  Let me do a little confession.  In the last week, I have talked to Kevin many times about: TJ being a mistake... maybe we shouldn't have gotten him... the kids aren't old enough for a pup... Tj won't stop biting Allie (in the face sometimes)... I've really just had a bad bad bad attitude about him.  I was annoyed that I am getting woken up at 5:45 every morning (an hour of sleep really does make a difference!) to take TJ out.  It's nearly impossible to take 2 kids and a puppy for walk by yourself.  Ok, have I convinced you not to ever buy a puppy?  Just kidding, that's not my goal.

I do wish we would have done more planning and researching so I would have had some clue what I was in for.  Kevin has kept a positive attitude about the whole situation so that has helped.  Then I started thinking; I haven't been positive at all.  I wake up with negative feelings towards him, and I get frustrated when he potties in the house, and when he eats one of Allie's hair bows, and when he won't stop picking on the cats.  I was talking to my neighbor Jim about TJ being a handful and he told me something so simple, but yet it made me think.  He said TJ was just being a puppy - all puppies act the way he does.  Which meant, #1 he isn't bad and #2 my expectations were just wrong.
      
A couple days ago, I woke up and I told myself he's going to have accidents in the house today, he is going to chew up stuff he's not supposed to - but it will all be ok.  And we had a great day!  I realized that when I tell myself "I can't stand him", "We shouldn't have gotten him", "He's such a bad puppy" that I'm just planting bad seeds and I will only have a bad attitude about him.  When I plant good seeds "It's really no big deal"  "He's still learning, he's just a pup" my attitude is exactly in line with the thoughts I plant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment