barn sale

Friday, December 2, 2016

Pumpkin Spice Waffles

Pumpkin Spice Waffle + pecans
Back in July, I taught a preschool cooking class during Art Smarts camp at church.  I made 5 different recipes with the kids, and surprisingly, pumpkin waffles were everyone's favorite!  Let me start by saying I'm sorry I've had this recipe since July and I'm just now sharing it.  Also, I know we are past the pumpkin season, but I promise this recipe is great year around!

During cooking class, I'd write the recipe on the dry erase board so helpers and other teachers could snap a picture of the recipe and use it with their class or make it at home for themselves!  So, it seems only appropriate I share the recipe with you the same way.  
A couple notes:
  • The recipe makes 4-5 waffles (if I remember correctly!).  If that seems like too many for you, make them and stick them in the freezer!
  • Plug in your waffle iron first.  That should give it time to heat up while you make the batter.  
  • Pumpkin Pie Spice is not something I keep on hand, and actually the day we made these during class, I forgot the spice, so I used cinnamon instead.  They were excellent!  So use what you have - don't feel like you need to buy the spice just to make the recipe.  
  • The batter will be thick, so you'll need to slightly spread it out in your waffle iron.
  • It says 3 minutes cooking time, but each iron is different.  3-5 mintues cooking time may be more accurate!
  • Add mix ins!  I've made them with chocolate chips (they don't need syrup if you do them this way!) and pecans and both were so good!

Cute Krissy eating her waffle at church camp!


Perfect and Plain

 
 The chocolate chip version!


2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I'd love the chocolate chip version. Mom made these for me for Thanksgiving breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how your waffle iron is, but mini chips may cook better! The normal chips were a little big and messy (but tasty) in my waffle iron.

      Delete