barn sale

Friday, December 16, 2016

New Little Chalkboard

We have a cute wooden personalized plaque that's been in our family room for years.  I've looked at it several times and thought about taking it down since it seemed a bit out dated (we've added two kids to the family since!) but always felt like I shouldn't since it was a gift.

The last month or so I've been on a cleaning and purging spree and trying to reorganize things along the way.  Amidst all this cleaning, I finally got the boost I needed to transform this plaque!  We no longer have a chalk board in our living room/dining room area, and I love having one to write seasonal messages on... so I decided the cute outdated plaque needed to be transformed into a little chalk board.

I went to the barn and got some sand paper to begin.  I'm not sure if the letters were painted on the wood, or if they were vinyl cut outs, but it didn't take much sanding to get the wood smoothed.  Once it was smooth, I cleaned it off with a wet rag, then added the black chalkboard paint.  It took three coats to get it just right, but dried quickly.  Once the paint was dry, I took the sand paper to rough of up the edges and expose some of the brown of the wood.
 The little chalk board is right back where it started, but I love the little face lift it got! :)

I'm challenging you to look at what you have sitting around your house... Is there anything you don't love?  Anything that's outdated?  What needs a face lift?  What needs to go?   Do it!  You'll be glad you did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment