barn sale

Friday, July 6, 2012

Monthly House Cleaning

I'm not good at keep my house clean.  I really wish I was, and I wish my kids never made messes.  I wish there weren't piles of crumbs on the floor after EVERY meal.  And I wish I would have picked out hairless cats.  But, it's just a fact, my house is never as clean as I want it to be. 

We had some dinner guests over last week and I spent about 2 hours doing general cleaning I never think about doing until we have people over (dusting, wiping off cabinets {they're white}, cleaning off bathroom sinks and mirrors).  The next day, my house was still in pristine condition and I loved it.  I decided that I'd make a monthly cleaning list and just do a little something extra every day (on top of the general laundry and dishes and cooking).  So I made a list #1-#30.  Every number was assigned a task.  Here's my list (and yours will probably be different if you don't have kids and/or pets).
  1. Clean toilets
  2. Vacuum
  3. Windex mirrors and windows
  4. Wipe off couches (our couches are leather and the kids LOVE helping with this job!)
  5. Vacuum
  6. Dust 
  7. Wipe our the fridge
  8. Vacuum
  9. Wipe spots off the floor
  10. Wash kids sheets
  11. Vacuum
  12. Wash our sheets
  13. Wipe off cainets
  14. Vacuum
  15. Clean hall bathtub
  16. Clean our shower
  17. Vacuum
  18. Clean kitchen sink
  19. Clean hair off chairs and barstool feet
  20. Vacuum
  21. Clean hall bathroom sink and counter top
  22. Clean master bathroom sink and counter top
  23. Vacuum
  24. Clean canisters
  25. Iron 
  26. Clean microwave
  27. Vacuum
  28. Clean a hot spot
  29. Gather a bag of unwanted/unused stuff for Goodwill
  30. Vacuum
Obviously I have "Vacuum" on my list a lot - and it could be done daily!  Maybe I will get in the routine of doing it so often I just do it daily - but probably not - that's why I made this list!  It's pretty easy how it works.  July 1, I cleaned the toilets. July 2, I vacuumed, and so on.  If there are 31 days in the month then I'll have one day of resting!  Also, I like the fact if I know I have a busy week, I can pick a day and do 3 or 4 of the tasks.

It's been a full week and our house has stayed picked up and cleaned!  Before bed we're having the kids help clean up what ever messes they have made.  (I also got rid of a couple bag full of toys which has really helped with toy clutter!)  I think the kids are enjoying this clean house as much as I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment