| I took this picture a few weeks ago. |
Our doctor is wonderful. He quickly looked at Allie's feet and said he agreed the metatarsus adductus was still present and needed to see if it was a muscle or bone issue. He ordered x-rays and Allie was such a champ for them. The doctor explained where he saw the problem and told me it was up to me if I wanted her casted today or if we wanted to try some corrective shoes for a couple months. The casting doesn't seem like it's a huge deal, but it is much more traumatizing than it sounds. He has to stretch the feet to their correct position which is very uncomfortable/painful for Allie. I could definitely do without holding her down and while she screams and cries, BUT I knew I had to put my mommy emotions aside and do what was best for Allie.
I asked the doc what he recommended and he said he thought it would be best to try the corrective shoes and see how she does in those for two months (only because her foot was still really flexible - her feet were considered stiff when we had our first visit at 8 months) We will go back in June and see how she has progressed. He may choose to do a series of casts then (they change the casts every two weeks and do this 2-3 times, so a total of 4-6 weeks) or he may have us use a bar (while she sleeps) that will hold her feet and ankles in an over corrected position.
Her little corrective shoes are actually kind of cute. She has such skinny little legs and they just look like little regular leather boots (unless you look really close). It's a cute look with a dress. Right now she will wear the shoes 24/7, day and night, and can only take them off during bath time. She has done fantastic with them today. She asked to take them off a couple times but I told her she has to wear them, and she didn't complain.
We have been trying to stay really upbeat about it. We went sock shopping for some bright new styles and we keep talking about her "cool new shoes." I don't want her feeling self conscience about her feet ever.
| Cute new socks |
In the meantime, if you see Allie, feel free to compliment her cool new shoes :) We feel blessed knowing things could be so much worse than having to wear a pair of shoes (or casts or whatever happens)!
You are such a good mommy. And those shoes are adorable!!!!
ReplyDelete