barn sale

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cheesy Taco Pasta

I don't know about you, but we love Mexican food at our house!  Last week I joined Weight Watchers and I've been on the hunt for some new recipes.  Ahhh how I love Pinterest!  My first go at a Pinterest "WW Friendly" recipe was a home run!  The kids loved it, the husband declared "it's in the top three recipes I make", and you, my friends, will not be thinking "diet food" at all!

I slightly adapted the recipe from Emily Bites.
Ingredients:
12oz Heartland Hidden Vegetable Small Penne pasta (found at East-side Walmart)
1 lb  lean ground beef (I used 96/4 from Walmart)
1 packet Ortega low sodium taco seasoning
1 ½ c mild salsa (I put mine though the food processor because I don't like chunks!)
½ c water
¼ c Kraft Simply fat free sour cream
¾ c shredded  Kraft 2 % reduced fat cheddar cheese
¾ c shredded Great Value sharp cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper (I don't think it needs it, but maybe you will)

Directions:
1.    Cook pasta according to package instructions.
2.    While pasta is cooking, place ground beef in a large sauté pan and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the beef as it cooks. When the beef is cooked, drain any grease from pan. Add the taco seasoning, salsa and water and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
3.    Once pasta is done, drain pasta and add it to the beef mixture. Add the sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cheese will melt when thoroughly mixed. Remove from heat and serve immediately. 

I didn't count the servings exactly (because Kevin was shoveling a 2nd helping into his bowl) but I figured it to be 8 or 9 1Cup servings.  If you are doing WW, 8 servings = 9p+, and 9 servings = 8p+ (assuming you use all the ingredients I listed).  Next time I make it, which will be soon, I'll let you know how many servings I get.  If you aren't being conscience of what you eat, feel free to use which ever seasonings, sour creams, and cheeses you'd like :)  But do yourself, and your family or friends a favor, and MAKE THIS!  We all know I'm the pickiest of picky eaters and I LOVED IT!!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Plus I think Kevin would like it :) I'll have to give it a try soon

    ReplyDelete