barn sale

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chocolate *Chocolate Chip* Muffins

When I saw the recipe for these, I immediately moved it to the top of my list of recipes I wanted to try!  I could eat chocolate 24/7 and never get sick of it.  I didn't really want to make these for breakfast (not the most nutritional way to start my day) but I just kept not finding the time once I got my day going.  Last night I decided today was the day - we were having chocolate muffins for breakfast!  Before bed, I premixed all my dry ingredients, laid out my muffin pans, put cupcake liners in them, got out my whisk and anything else I thought I needed to make these.  It made the process go much quicker this morning and the muffins were in the oven when the kids woke up.

Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe who got it from allrecipes.com
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lowfat milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, chocolate chips and salt. Toss to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, water, milk, oil and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet mixture, stirring just until moistened .
Line muffins cups with paper liners and fill the cups 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins to a wire rack to let cool completely.

I always use the Reynolds baking cups.  They are located with the foil & plastic wrap.  They are the BEST!
I expected these to be really heavy and dense and I was surprised by their lightness.  They aren't as light as cake, but they are a perfect density.  They are RICH, very very rich, but that's another reason why I like them.  I prefer them warmed (or right out of the oven) because I'm a sucker for the melted gooey chocolate!  I think these would make a fantastic dessert, served with ice cream and berries.  In fact, I may just have to try that tonight.....if you are a chocoholic, you need to make these!  You won't be disappointed!!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment