barn sale

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Garden?

The last two summers I've really wanted to have my own vegetable garden.  The idea of "living off the land" sounds so cool to me (the secret Amish woman in me is coming out)!  The problem isn't the desire to have a garden, it's rather, I have no idea where to start on such a huge project.  It seems like every other house in the summer has a garden, so I keep thinking it can't be that hard.... but when I start to research where to begin I just give up and feel overwhelmed. The second biggest problem is it's going to require a lot of man hours to get the beds built.  Since I'm pretty much relying on Kevin to do 100% of the manual building work, I've got to get him  motivated to have this garden too!

I know I like the look of a raised garden bed the best.  Actually our backyard has zero landscape and I think it would be pretty to have something like this!  (I really like the painted ones best but I don't see the husband agreeing). 
I want to start out easy.... I thought about growing cucumbers, zucchini, and possibly tomatoes (for homemade pizza/spaghetti sauce and salsa!).  Maybe in year #2, I'd try some peppers, corn, and strawberries!  I'd also really like to grow our own pumpkins for the fall too!  Not sure where I'll get with these gardening plans this summer, but I'd love to start the process soon!  Any tips or suggestions you have - pass my way, please!


2 comments:

  1. There is a really good magazine Mother Earth that always has great tips and when to plant what your planting. I want to do one this summer but I don't know about all the work that goes into and being extremely pregnant at the same time.. Maybe I can do just a few things like you too.. The raised beds are really really easy, I need Ty to build some too. Maybe him and Kevin could do it together for us..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok the great thing about this area EVERYTHING and ANYTHING will grow in this soil (black gold), we did a semi-big garden last year in the ground and we couldn't keep the weeds out I'm sure there is a secret to that here, let's just say AR was not like that:))Peppers, okra, japelenos,& squash all grew really well, I got enough to do 35 quarts of salsa, I ended up getting my tomatoes from the farmers market. The lady would sell me the bruised box for $10 I got 2 boxes and let's just say that was cheaper than my tomatoe plants costed:( I do love the raised beds. REALLY REALLY cute. I think that would be perfect for your first go around and the kids love planting, however weeding not so much....

    ReplyDelete