barn sale

Monday, February 13, 2012

Lambert's Cafe - Home of the Throwed Rolls

I visited the Lamberts Cafe in Alabama about 10 years ago.  I remember enjoying the food and atmosphere, but that's about all I could recall from my first visit.  When we went to Missouri last week, I had google searched some of the best restaurants in the area and was pleasantly surprised to see there was a Lambert's Cafe between Springfield and Branson.

Our 2nd night, we had made plans to have dinner there.  We arrived around 5 hoping we there wouldn't be a wait.  We were able to walk right in.  Kevin immediately fell in love with the restaurant because they were playing "oldies" (and he is a 60 year old man at heart and LOVES that kind of music!).  Their menu seemed to have a little bit of everything, but I decided on the dumplings, corn, and mashed potatoes with gravy.  Kevin ordered the chef salad, not knowing it was big enough to feed our whole family of 4.  Hayden picked out a cheeseburger, applesauce and peaches.  I got Allie dumplings, corn, and mashed potatoes. 

While we were waiting on the food, the little high school boy, with his curly hair and suspenders announced "Hot Rolls!"  Kevin put his arms up and caught our first roll.  I was starving at that point (we usually eat at 4 because of his work schedule) so I split the roll in half.  I took one half and gave the kids the other half.  The bread was SO good!  Probably the closest thing I've had to my mom's sour dough bread.  I told Kevin he had to catch us some more!  He caught another one and fell in love with the bread too!  As we were devouring our bread, random servers came by with pots of food.  We were offered:  fried potatoes and onions, fried okra, and macaroni and tomatoes.  We did get all 3, but I only tried the friend potatoes (which were excellent!).

We weren't let down at all by our food.  It was GREAT!  I think Hayden ate more cheeseburger that night than he ever has!  We also decided from now on we'd stop ordering Allie food at restaurants because she rarely eats any of it.  She let her plate go cold and didn't try a thing we ordered for her.  Kevin ate and ate and ate on his salad but you couldn't tell he touched it when he was done.  It was huge.  I polished off my plate and considered dessert, but finished my thrown roll and was full enough :)

Here are some pictures from our visit to Lamberts.  I can't wait to go back to another one!!!
The roll thrower (in the red hat) and a roll being thrown (by the purple balloon).
Me & my buddy.  We also loved the huge drinking glasses :)

100% delicious
Kevin's huge salad in a bread bowl.
Hayden eating his "pittle".
My dumplings and sides
Fried okra
Fried potatoes and onions
We put the macaroni and tomatoes on Allies plate, and she didn't try them.  (Kevin and I aren't tomato eaters).


1 comment: