Last week I made Hayden and Allie eye appointments. It's the first time since we've been married that we have good vision insurance (normally they cover an exam, but this year we get credit for contacts or glasses as well)!
Our eye doctor recommended seeing the kids when they were 4-5. Even though Allie didn't seem to be having any problems, I decided to go ahead and get her eyes checked before she starts kindergarten this fall.
I predicted before this appointment we'd be getting a pair of glasses for Hayden. He doesn't complain of not being able to see, but at his last checkup a couple years ago, they had said he would probably need glasses in the future. I watched him read the letters. He was missing C by saying O and E and saying B. After the doctor looked at his eyes, he said he is just starting to need a little help seeing but wouldn't recommend glasses at this point. He said if he complains of not being able to see, then we could take action, but since he's not having problems and he's doing well in school then we should just wait.
Next up was Allie. They had her look at pictures (car/horse/duck/hand/cake/phone) instead of letters. First she covered her left eye and breezed through the pictures. Next she covered her right eye and I could tell she was struggling to name the pictures. I couldn't tell if she was getting confused by the pictures (the car didn't really look like a car and the cake was a little wonky too). The lady switched the screen to where it was just one picture at a time and when she was still missing them I began to think maybe she's having problems seeing!
The doctor came back in to check her eyes. She struggled through the same set of pictures with him. He said her right eye was 20/20 and the left was 20/40. He said she's using her right eye more than her left and for that reason he recommended glasses. She was SO excited and Hayden was SO bummed (like he was crying in the van saying it's not fair).
We tried on lots of glasses. She wanted bright pink but I convinced her 10 years from now she's be mad I let her have her way. I suggested several cute, neutral pairs. The plastic brown tortoiseshell were my favorite but they weren't as comfortable as the metal ones with nose pieces. And the metal ones have bright colored hearts on the side and I think she was sold on them!
Her glasses will be in by the end of next week and she asks me hourly how many more days until her glasses are here. I'm so glad we had her eyes checked and I'm thrilled she is excited about her new glasses!




No comments:
Post a Comment