barn sale

Friday, January 29, 2016

*Light* Chocolate Muffins

I've been on the hunt for some healthy recipes to add to my huge list of not-so-healthy recipes.  And with any new recipe, I keep my expectations low.

Muffins are my favorite breakfast food, hands down, no question about it.  Unfortunately all my favorite muffins recipes are full of oil, butter, and/or sugar.  When I stumbled on this "healthy" chocolate muffin, I was skeptical.  The writer mentioned how her kids gobble them up every time she makes them, so I thought they were worth trying.

The muffins baked beautifully and had a great muffin-like consistency (another thing that's usually lacking with healthy muffins).  My kids tried them first while I was working on getting Hayden ready for school.  Before I had a chance to sit down, plates were clean and the kids were asking for more.  I was thinking, "Could they really be as good as they look?!"  And the answer is yes, yes, yes! I was so impressed with these!  My first bite was sweet and chocolatey!  I loved the gooey chocolate chips scattered with in it!  This is definitely a guilt-free recipe worth keeping and making!  I can also see these being served warm with ice cream and berries for dessert.  YUM!  That's what I may do with the leftovers! :)


Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 C greek yogurt (I used Chobani vanilla)
1 C unsweetened applesauce
1/2 C raw honey
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup

1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/3 C cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

Drizzle:
3 Tbsp chocolate chips
1 Tbsp coconut oil 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*.
Mix the first 5 ingredients together.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Don't over mix.  Line muffin pans with foil liners (the Reynolds ones are my favorite) and fill cups.  I made 18 muffins with the recipe.  Bake 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. 

While muffins are cooling, mix the chocolate chips and coconut oil together and microwave.  Drizzle on top of muffins!  Enjoy friends! 



1 comment:

  1. I'm intrigued. I have never cooked with coconut oil - just used it to moisturize my hair. These sound yummy and I like that they're healthy.

    ReplyDelete