barn sale

Thursday, February 12, 2015

What I've Learned About Potty Training

I have potty trained 3 out of our 4 kids, and I have learned a lot along the way.

Hayden was the definition of perfect when it came to potty training.    When he was about 18 months old, he started waking up dry in the mornings.  Shortly after that we started potty training and by the time he was 2, he never wore a diaper again.  That's including at night!  I had no idea how lucky I was.

I fought Allie from 2-3 to get her potty trained.  She simply was not ready and I had a hard time accepting that. I thought it was some failure on my part. Sometime after she turned 3, it all started to click, but she wore diapers at night until her 4th birthday.  

With Krissy, I just had no expectations.  If she showed interest, we'd go with it, but I didn't want to make us both miserable trying to do something she wasn't ready for.  We had a failed attempt about the time she turned 2.  She was interested but she just wasn't ready.  Early in January, she really took a liking to her stash of big girl undies.  She wanted to go potty, and she knew everytime she went I'd give her a candy heart. Candy hearts and new undies were the motivation she needed.  After the last few weeks, I can officially say she's got it down!  I still put her in a diaper at night and although she doesn't love that, I'm happy with it!

One more kid to go!  I can't imagine never buying diapers again.  It's been part of our monthly budget for so long! It will be a welcomed change in a couple years :)

Proud if my big girl!

2 comments:

  1. Yea Krissy!!!! I'll admit it....it's the one part of parenting that I can't stand. I don't look forward to potty training Levi at all. Logan was sooooo difficult that I fear Levi will be too. But someone has to do it, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to potty train Olive for me?? haha... we'll see which of your kids she ends up being most like... I'm rooting for Hayden :)

    ReplyDelete