barn sale

Monday, July 21, 2014

MAC Cosmetics

While we were on vacation, I looked to see if there were any MAC Cosmetic counters in Destin.  Just so happens there was one in a department store called Belk.  The few girls I follow on YouTube that are makeup gurus rave over their MAC products, but are very upfront about it being pricy and high end.  Maybe that's why there are no places around here that sell it?  Kevin and I enjoyed a date night last Wednesday evening and I asked him if I could go buy some make up when we were done eating.  He didn't mind going with me, and luckily the men's department was next to the makeup counter so he was able to browse while I talked makeup!

The girl at the counter quickly greeted me and said to let her know if I had any questions.  I just said 'ok' because I had so many questions I didn't know where to start.  After a couple minutes of aimlessly browsing, I just started asking her gobs of questions.  We started with concealer.  I knew I needed something better than what I've tried (my go-to is Mary Kay, but I don't love its yellow-ness, or thickness for under my eyes... it is great for blemishes though!)  She recommended one and offered to put it on me to see how I liked it.  I loved it.  It doesn't crease, highlights the right areas, and is light but covers perfectly.  It sells for around $20 a bottle.

The sweet girl then went through my makeup routine with me and we looked for areas I needed help/improvement.  I told her about my mixed feelings on foundation, and she suggested a mineral powder foundation.  Once I put it on, I loved it.  I didn't know powder could give such a covered/smooth/light/finished look.  She recommended a bronzer that I've really liked too.

The next area we talked about was eyes.  I needed a few neutral, everyday colors to wear on my eyes.  Anyone who knows anything about makeup uses several shadows, not just one.  So I had her point me in the right direction of shadows that are good for everyday wear.  I loved the matte finishes... everything from the drug store is so darn glittery!  The eye shadows sell for $15 a pod.
(This was not the set I bought but I really liked it!)

She sent me home with mascara samples that I fell in love with and it will be my go to.  So after dropping about $200 on a pile of makeup and brushes, I went back to the condo to show my mom to see what she thought of it all.  She really liked it too, especially my concealer, so we went back a day later.  A new group of ladies were working.  A very pretty lady with her makeup done beautifully started helping my mom.  She ended up getting a new face of makeup too, and loved it all as well.  These ladies that work at the makeup counters are packed full of knowledge.  I went home that day with a primer, and my mom left with a pile of make up and brushes too!  


Here's a picture of me Saturday at 9am.   I had just finished my makeup.  I spent the day running around, in and out of the heat, and even blowing my nose (and changing clothes!).  I took the second one right before I went to bed at 11pm.  My makeup looks as fresh at 9am as it did at 11pm!  Everything I was wearing was MAC except for my eyeliner (which is Revlon liquid Color stay).
If you ever get the chance to visit a MAC counter, I'd highly recommend their products!  I am in love with every product of theirs that I own (from brushes, to shadows, to powder)!  

1 comment:

  1. I must have missed this post when you originally blogged about your trip to MAC. We have Belk here in Jackson so I'll have to keep this on my radar... your most convincing thing for me was your side by side shot of 9am and 11pm! Holy same face all day Batman!! I feel like I have to touch my make up up throughout the day for it to last so I'm definitely interested in some lasting stuff. I need to start saving... and maybe talk to the MAC ladies to see if they have similar things for my oily skin.

    ReplyDelete