This morning Kevin let TJ in the house for a bit. We do that now and then, but try not to make it a habit. I've spent a little time teaching the dog a few tricks (sit, shake, lay down, we are working on hi-fives). Allie was really wanting to give him a treat this morning and I told her she had to make him do some tricks so he'd earn a treat. I gave her three treats and she just put them all in TJ's mouth. Again, I told her she needed to tell him to do some tricks before she just gave him the treats. As I was placing more doggy treats in her hand, she looks at TJ and says "Tricks".... "Tricks"
It was very funny to me how literal she took my words. Then I started thinking about how many times I've spouted off instructions or requests or demands to my kids without ever taking the time to teach them how to do the things I'm saying. I love these kids, so why am I not taking the time to train them in areas I'm constantly harping on them?
Areas I need to train them in:
- How to behave when Mommy (or Daddy) is on the phone or talking to a friend
- How to behave when we are at places of business
- How to talk and behave respectively to/around elders
- How to listen more than they speak
My goal is not for them to be perfect little robots that act right every time I speak, but I know I can do more, and they are willing to learn more. So see, even big furry headed dogs can be used as an instrument to show you areas you can grown and learn :) Thanks, TJ!
No comments:
Post a Comment