barn sale

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I found this recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup on my sister's blog.  It looked a-maz-ing so I was anxious to give it a try!  I gave it a couple changes and Kevin and I agree that it's as amazing as it looked!  Definitely give it a try if you are a potato soup fan!!!

Serves 6-8
Ingredients
6 large baking potatoes
3T butter 
3 C chicken broth
3 C whole milk
2 C Velveeta + 1 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese 
1 t chili powder
3T cornstarch (+1/4 C water)
bacon + shredded cheddar cheese for topping


Directions
Pierce all potatoes with a fork (b/c they will explode in your oven if you don't).  Bake potatoes for about an hour directly on oven rack.  While they are baking, fry bacon for topping.  Once the potatoes are soft (about an hour) remove them from the oven and let them cool (you can cut them in half to get them to cool quicker).

While potatoes are cooling, melt butter in a large pot.  Add the chicken broth and milk.  MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BOIL!  The milk WILL curdle!  (I am speaking from experience - I made a similar recipe a couple weeks ago and let the milk boil and had to throw the whole pot of soup out!)  Once the potatoes have cooled, scoop out insides of potatoes and add to the soup.  Next add the cheeses, chili powder, and salt/pepper to taste.  Mix cornstarch and water together and add to the soup.  Top with bacon and extra cheese.  It's a great meal for a chilly day!  It's also good leftover :)  Make it while it's still chilly out!

No comments:

Post a Comment