I've read lots of articles in favor of homeschooling, and the more I read, the more I'm convinced this is what I should be doing. I do think there will be several challenges. I was talking to my friend Sarah (who homeschools her kids) about the challenges I see, and she reminded me God doesn't call us to do things we know we can do; He calls us to do things we can't do on our own, so we have to rely on Him to carry us through. I've tried to use excuses that I'm not patient enough, I won't know what I'm doing, public school is just easier, but I truly feel like God is laying this on my heart (and Kevins).
There are lots of myths and confusion about homeschooling today. Here's a few I've been asked about...
- In Indiana, homeschooled kids can participate in any public school sports (think Tim Tebow - I had no idea he was homeschooled, but he was).
- I thought that homeschooled kids were socially awkward (and there may be some out there), but I've found that to be completely the opposite this past year. I've had the privilege of meeting several homeschool families from my church and all the children I've talked to have been respectful, polite, and very able to carry on a conversation. They also get along great with my kids and I wouldn't know they were homeschooled just by looking at them or watching them interact with other kids.
- Homeschooled children scored better in every area of study compared to public school kids. So the arguement that they learn better in the public school setting is invalid.
- Typically "school" can be done in 2-3 hours a day when you homeschool, verses the 8+ hours they are at public school. That leaves more family time, and time for extra curricular activities.
- There are co-ops and groups all over the place for homeschool kids, so they do get to be around kids their age and they do get out of the house. I've been told there is even a homeschool prom here in Evansville! Who knew.
I read this great article titled "The 4 Advantages of Homeschooling" and wanted to share my favorite paragraph from the article. (It's a great read if you're at all interest in homeschooling.)
"Oh yes, I've heard the critics. They say we're protecting the child, sheltering him. Yes, I certainly hope so. When I want to grow a tomato plant, I do not take the seed and put it directly into the garden. I carefully cultivate it in a special growing pot. I control the light, water, temperature, and nutrients. When the roots are deep enough and the stem strong enough, I then put it in the garden to be exposed to the elements. Timing is everything. A good start means everything."
We more interested in growing Hayden's heart and his character and teaching him our values and beliefs, and not leaving that up to a public school teacher (who may have very different views and beliefs than we do). So, that's where we stand right now with homeschooling :) I'm open to all questions!
No comments:
Post a Comment