barn sale

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Molars, Failed Potty Training, and Nursemaid's Elbow - Oh My

An update on Allie...
Molars:  Allie is getting her 2 year molars in!  The poor girl isn't really happy about it.  Hayden didn't get his till he was at least 2 1/2, and I'm thinking it was closer to 3. She has a purple "chewy" (a teether) that has been taking the edge off the pain.  I also give her a little squirt of Tylenol before bed.  At last check, only the bottom right had broke through the gums. 

Potty Training:  She has also decided she doesn't want to be potty trained.  She went a full week, almost two, with no accidents (and was waking up dry from bedtime and nap time) so I know she can do it, but she is choosing not to right now.  I wasn't sure if I should just keep putting her in her big girl undies or put her back in diapers.  She would have no problem making a puddle on the floor and just causally telling me "I peed ober dere" or "I peed ma pants".  She has continued to do #2s in the potty, and I continue to give her special treats as a reward.  Usually 2-3 times a day she'll pee on the potty (usually Hayden announces to the world he has to go, then Allie decides she needs to go then too).

I broke down and did something I thought I'd NEVER do - I bought pull ups.  I always felt like they were a waste.  Either potty train or don't - right?  Well I changed my mind, for the time being.  The pull ups make my life easier right now (instead of peeing in the potty, then having to go to the diaper changer table to put on a diaper, she can just pee when she wants and if she doesn't then it's no big deal.)

Nursemaid's Elbow:  Several days ago I met one of my sweet friends, Deanna, for a play date.  We met at Newburgh's park for a picnic lunch and planned to let the kids play after lunch.  Things went great.  The kids played together so well, it wasn't too hot out, but we knew nap time was getting close for both our little ones.  I was pushing Allie in a swing and she was getting so slap happy because she was so tired.  Instead of pushing her, I'd grab her legs and then let them go (which she loved), then she held out her left arm - so I grabbed it, pulled, then let her go.  She immediately retracted her arm and screamed and cried.  I had no clue why she was acting that way.  Deanna works at a hospital and knows all about joints and bones and stuff I have no clue about.  She thought Allie had nursemaids elbow.  I'd never heard of it.  So she started moving Allie's arm, saying she was not really wasn't going to like it, but it needed to be fixed.  I was just sitting back letting Deanna work her magic. 

Allie cried just for another minute, but was fine (after a couple hugs she was back to playing in the rocks with the boys).  Then Deanna explained to me what had just happened.  From what I read, it's a pretty common thing for kids 1-4, girls more so than boys, and the left arm seems to be affected more than the right.  Basically the ligament at their elbow isn't fully developed and can slip out of place if you pull on the child's arm.  Until the ligament is back in place, the kids will just stop using the arm because it hurts.  Not just anyone can pop the ligament back in place, a doctor (or friend that knows what they are doing!) needs to do it.  I was SO glad Deanna was the one that was with me that day because I would have thought Allie was just crying because she was tired.  I felt like a lousy mom, but now I know what NOT to do when we swing next time!
These actions can increase the risk of injury, such as:
  • Pulling a child up by the hands. Pulling on hands or forearms can put stress on the elbows. Never pick up a toddler or infant by the hands or wrists. Lifting under the armpits is the safest way to lift a child.
  • Swinging a toddler by the arms. Any type of swinging by holding the hands or wrists can put stress on the elbow joint and should be avoided.
  • Jerking a child's arm. Pulling a toddler along while walking or quickly grabbing his or her hand can jerk the arm, causing the radial head to slip. Remember to be gentle when taking a child by the hand.
  • Breaking a fall with the arm. The natural response to falling is outstretching an arm for protection. The elbow can overextend during this action, resulting in a slip of the radial head.
  • Rolling over in an awkward way. Sometimes rolling over in a crib, bed, or on the floor can cause nursemaid's elbow in infants and very young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment