barn sale

Friday, June 10, 2016

Weekly Happenings

VBS ends today and we have a busy weekend planned to prep for a busy next week!  I hardly took any pictures this week -  and that's so unlike me!  Here's some of my highs and lows from the week.

Sunshine:
*warning: graphic picture below*
My favorite chicken, Sunshine aka "Sunny", was found Tuesday with some blood on her wing.  After further inspection we noticed a bone had broken through the skin.  We aren't sure how she injured the wing, but my guess is falling off the roost (where they sleep) in the coop.  She is inside our house in a large container, we keep her wing wrapped and change the bandage 2-3 times a day.  I'm treating the area with triple antibiotic cream right now and she gets a bath daily.  We are letting her run with the flock for about an hour a day to keep them associated but I keep a close eye on her.  She's getting more attention inside than she'd probably like.  She's eating and drinking great and acting normal which makes me so torn on how to go forward with her.  I don't want to kill a chicken that isn't acting miserable, but I know I can't put her back outside with an open wound.  I'm trying to talk Kevin into letting me find someone to amputate the wing but he's not interested in spending any money on a $2 chicken.  And I can't say I disagree, I just want her fixed and I don't know how to make that happen.  I'm rambling now.  



VBS
As I mentioned above, the kids have spent all week at church.  They have loved making new friends and making crafts for me.  Poor Krissy can't really handle being away from me and had a harder week than Hayden or Allie.  Her teacher has been amazingly sweet and treats her as if she's her own, but the first two hours she says Krissy is just so sad and heart broken, but at craft time (the last hour) she really perks up and is a different girl.  I've continued to take her everyday because Kevin and I are getting ready for a 4 day kid-free getaway and I'm pretty sure that's going to be hard on her, so this week was a good way to ease her into that... Mommy guilt is kicking in!
(Crazy hair day + a sad Hayden {will explain that at the end})

Parenting Mishap:
Hayden was very excited to learn the new friend he made at VBS went to his school.  On day 3 of VBS, Hayden's teacher told me this boy's mom was waiting in the back of the sanctuary to talk to me.  I assumed she was wanting to exchange numbers and set up a play date and so I started talking about how excited Hayden was to be friends with her son and how great it was they went to the same school.  After I gave her my number and suggested we get the boys together this summer, she went on to tell me why she wanted to talk to me.  Her son came home from day 1 of VBS with a dollar Hayden gave him.  She lectured her son about how he shouldn't take money from his friends and not to accept anymore.  Well the next day Hayden gave him $21 which he accepted and said Hayden gave another boy an unknown amount of money too.  This mom seemed really troubled by this but nicely questioned me and my knowledge of all this.  I had no clue he'd taken money with him nor did I have any idea he was passing out money to "friends".  I assured her I'd talk to Hayden that afternoon and hopefully it wouldn't happen again.  I felt like she was slightly judgy about my lack of knowledge so I ended up texting her that afternoon to thank her for talking to me and to let her know I talked to Hayden... and got no response. #awkward. But Hayden and I did have a great conversation where I praised his willingness to give generously, he freely told me about giving the money to his friends, but we ended the conversation by setting up a rule that he should talk to mom or dad about giving money before he gives it.  

Sugar Cookies:
I made some amazingly delicious jumbo sugar cookies this week.  With all the chicken stress, I just wanted to bake because it'a a stress reliever for me.  And they were such a hit with the family!  I think these will be fantastic gifts for teachers and the bus driver next year :) 

Cinnamon Butter:
I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I made some cinnamon honey butter to pair with my sourdough bread.  It was good but needed some tweaking so I adjusted some of the ingredient amounts this week when I made it again and it was a total success!  I'm planning to post the recipe before the end of the month so look forward to that!

Adios 4 Wheeler
Last night at 9:30pm, Kevin got a text message from someone inquiring about our 4 wheeler for sale.  The man wanted it last night for his sons 5th birthday today.  Kevin met him in Henderson at 10:15 at night and he was thrilled to get it.  It sounds like it went to the perfect family and I'm so glad the kids got a chance to ride it last night before bed.  Kevin broke the news to the kids after breakfast and Hayden was pretty upset about it (insert sad picture from a couple paragraphs ago).  He's completely out grown it but he still enjoyed it.  Maybe one day we will own another.  

1 comment:

  1. I love that Harry is keeping a close eye on Sunny. Watch out chicky!! Poor Krissy. Glad she's got a great teacher and that she's loving the craft time. That was always my favorite part of VBS. It's weird that that mom was so judgy about Hayden giving away money. I could see it if Hayden was the one taking the money. Parents are weird :) Hope you have a fun weekend as you prep for your trip!

    ReplyDelete