barn sale

Friday, May 13, 2016

Best Parts of My Week

Just a few, quick highlights from the past week!  

My sourdough starter is so alive! I've never seen it grow quite like this after a feeding!  I stuck it in the corner of my counter before church and was shocked to come home to this mess.  But I'm also thrilled :)

I tried a new icing for Hayden's birthday cake.  It's 100% different from my go-to "American buttercream" recipe and I think I love it even more!  Only downside is I have one hater... My husband.  He says it's too creamy.  Can an icing really be too creamy?  I have pondered a big cupcake testing event to get some feedback from lots of people. And it's also has my wheels spinning about baking as a business again. 

Krissy has been so anxious to help me in the kitchen with anything I'm doing!  Dishes, baking, decorating cookies/cakes.  I usually let her play with extra dough and cut out things with cookie cutters, or lick spatulas... 

I painted our front door! It's one of the several projects that was on my outdoor to do list.  It use to be the same brown color as my shutters.  I'm really happy with it!! The color is called Mystic Sea from Lowes.

I had to go to Boonville to pay our taxes this week and I couldn't not stop in at the Goodwill.  I walked out with a nice haul for myself! 4 new dresses, 3 shirts, and a pair of capris.  I also found Kevin 2 pairs of shorts and a polo, and several things for the kids!  This pink top Krissy is wearing is one I found for her!  Allie has been dying for a robe since I got mine on Mothers Day, and I found the cutest one in her size!


I spent many hours this week booking a flight/car/condo for a little get away Kevin and I are taking.  We text each other daily with a countdown, and all our conversations revolve around how excited we are for a vacation together!  I know I'll miss the kids, probably even more than I can imagine right now, but they will be in the best hands and I'm going to do my best to enjoy this time Kevin and I get together.

Hayden's teachers contacted me this week about making some star cookies for the class today.  They were very complimentary of the ones I made them for teacher appreciation week and I thought it was so sweet they asked me to do this.  I happily agreed and spent a few hours making them yesterday.  The theme was Hollywood Red Carpet.  The kids are dressing up and being presented with an award for being a publish author. BTW, the cute book his class made was given to the moms last Friday.  


4 comments:

  1. WILD bread!! Glad it's doing so well. I heard rave reviews about your icing so I'll look forward to trying it. I'm not a big icing fan so the idea of a light and fluffy icing sounds amazing. Your new front door looks great :) Hope you get to play outside a lot this nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may whip up some cupcakes when you are home next weekend so you can try it! I want feedback! :) hope you enjoy the weekend too! It was so cold here today!

      Delete
  2. That bread is too funny! One time, I left some dough in the mircrowave (I didn't heat it up, just sat it in there to rise) and it was billowign out the bottom of the microwave when we got home several hours later. . . I was probably 13 at the time. Love that cake and your door, and yay for Goodwill finds!!!

    Tif
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impressive you were working with dough at such a young age!! Thanks for the compliments! We've been in our house 6 years and just finally started tackling some of the outside projects! It's amazing what a little paint can do! :). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete