barn sale

Friday, November 2, 2012

Mexican Lasagna

I meant to post this recipe last week, but clearly I didn't post anything last week!  I make this meal every couple months.  The recipe came out of one of my favorite cookbooks.  We get multiple meals out of it, which is always a huge plus in my book, and probably a reason I love it so much.  It also reheats great!  Don't get thrown off by the cottage cheese.  Neither of my kids eat cottage cheese (I think it's a consistency thing) but they both eat this meal. 

Ingredients:
2lbs ground beef
1/4 C taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
4+ soft tacos shells, cut in half (I only use 4, but you can use more if you want)
1 C mozzarella cheese
2 C small curd cottage cheese
1 egg
Optional Toppings:  Ortega taco sauce, lettuce, jalapenos, tomatoes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*
Brown ground beef.  While beef is cooking, mix the mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, and egg and set aside. Drain fat off the beef.  Put beef back in the pan and add refried beans and taco seasoning.  Mix well. 
For the bottom layer, I take two taco shells and cut in half and place the straight sides along the sides of the pan.  All the curved parts of the taco shell will face the inside.  (Let me know if that doesn't make sense.. I can take a picture).  Place all of the ground beef mixture on top of the shells.  Add another layer of taco shells (cut in half just like you did on the bottom.)  Add the cheese mixture to the top of the shells.  Bake for 30 minutes. 

It's a great Mexican meal if you are wanting to try something new!  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment