barn sale

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Delicious Lo Mein

The past several weeks, I've been consciously trying to eat less sugar.  I meal planned breakfast, lunch, and dinner and three snacks a day and I can't tell you how much it helps stay on track when everything is pre-planned!

Because I wanted to eat a little healthier ... "January thoughts on December days" as Lysa Teurkerst put it, I found several recipes to try.  My goal is to try a new food each week since I'm a pretty picky eater.  This week: snow peas.  I say I don't like green beans or peas, even though I don't really remember what either tastes like!  So, naturally, I built a case on why I wouldn't like these odd shaped green veggies.  It mainly consisted of the fact "peas" were in the name and they were green.

When I made this dish and was squeamishly ready to try a bite, I couldn't believe how good it was!  Like I called and texted everyone that knows me and my picky style to let them know how good it was! (Ok, really just Kevin and my mom, and I texted my sister too!)  but it's delicious AND healthy!  I made this dish for Austin's birthday party and it was a hit!  If you are planning to start eating more veggies as part of your New Years resolution, plan on making this one!  YUM!!!! 

Adapted from Recipe source DamnDelicious:

Sauce Ingredients:
2Tbps low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp honey
1tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp sriracha sauce 

Veggies:
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup carrots chopped
1 red bell pepper
3 cups spinach
1 cup broccoli
1 cup snow peas

You'll also need:
1Tbsp olive oil
8 oz lo mein noodles (I used whole grain spaghetti) {I like to break the noodles into 4ths before I boil them so they are easier to eat!)

First, bring a pot of water to a boil.  Next, in a small bowl, make your sauce and set aside.  Chop the veggies (garlic, red pepper, and carrots).  Once I'm almost done chopping, I'll put my noodles in the boiling water.

Next, add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a skillet.  I set my skillet to 400*.  Once it has started heating up, add the garlic, carrots, and pepper.  Cook 3-4 minutes until tender, stirring frequently.  While the mixture is cooking, your noodles should be about done so drain them and set them aside.  Also, if you're using anything frozen (I used frozen broccoli and snow peas) then defrost them for 2 mintues in the microwave.

Next you'll add the spinach, broccoli and snow peas.  Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Next add your drained noodles and sauce.  Toss to combine.  Serve immediately!

I love this because it's a filling, meatless meal!  It's also very quick to make!  I'd say 20 minutes start to finish.  This recipe would serve 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 kids perfectly! :)  I hope you love it!

1 comment:

  1. Lo Mein is one of my favorite dishes!! I love it for all the reasons you mentioned - easy to make and tons of veggies. We sometimes add chicken to spice things up a bit. I'm excited to give your new recipe a try at my house :)

    ReplyDelete