barn sale

Monday, December 7, 2015

Bookshelf Upgrade

I was sitting in our rocking chair about a month before my birthday.  I looked at this eyesore in my family room and though "it would sure be nice to upgrade this bookshelf!" My mom always asks for ideas for birthday and Christmas gifts and I thought maybe I could find a replacement with he money she was going to spend on my birthday.  

Within 5 minutes I had found this piece on Craigslist.  I loved the shelves were high enough the kids couldn't rummage through my books and I loved the doors at the bottom for extra storage. I immediately emailed the person who posted the ad and she called me right away to let me know it was still available.  Kevin and I went to her house that evening with some of my birthday cash in hand.  I'm glad I brought him because I needed the muscles!  He took the heavy end and I took light end and we loaded it up in the old Ford.

I was excited to start the remodel project and I made it known to my parents I'd be painting and updating it.  A couple days later my dad called to say he was coming over to help me start sanding the cabinet.  I told him I had planned to do it myself and he said he knew that but thought I'd want the help. And I did. I just didn't want to bother him with a project I had high expectations for.

I told him I'd like to put legs on the bottom and replace the back with bead board.  I actually did over half of the sanding on it (Kevin helped me use his big sander), but that's about as far as my help went.  My dad took it to his friends shop where they finished priming/painting and rebuilding it.  They rebuilt the chewed up corners on it, added some new trim to the top, and added a new board to the bottom to make it a little taller.
(I picked out the Palladian gold color to use as the bead board color.)

The before and after is pretty dramatic!

Our Christmas tree kind of steals it's thunder, but I love love love how it turned out!  It's by far so much better than I could have ever done by myself!  I had to rearrange my picture collage to center it above the loveseat and that turned out better than before!  I have updated pictures for my collage printing at Sams Club as I type!

I'm so happy to have added this beautiful piece of furniture to our house, and even more thankful for all the hours of work my dad put into redoing it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment