barn sale

Friday, May 30, 2014

Black Bean *Burritos*

I posted a recipe a couple years ago for black bean quesadillas.  Over the last couple years we've eaten this recipe at least monthly!  However, since I first posted the recipe, we've made one change.... Now we eat them as mini burritos!

Two will satisfy you, three will fill you up, and four will stuff you full!  The recipe makes 20 small burritos, and with 5 of us eating, we usually end up with 5-6 leftover.  The kids L-O-V-E them; fresh or leftover, it makes no difference to them!  I like to serve them with lettuce and taco sauce.  Kevin has been known to add jalapenos and sour cream to his.  It's a cheaper meatless meal that your family will love!

Ingredients:
30oz black beans rinsed and drained
1C mild chunky salsa
1/8C taco seasoning
2C shredded cheddar cheese
20 mini soft shells
Optional:  jalapenos, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, taco sauce 

Note:  I use my food processor because I don't like a chunky consistency.  If you love beans and chunky salsa, don't process the mixture.  If you don't like a chunky consistence, but don't have a food processor, I'd suggest 1. Using a food chopper and chop of the food as fine as possible, or 2. Try cooking the mixture to soften it all and smash it with a fork or pampered chef mix & chop!  (I have never tried any of these ways, so if you do, let me know how it goes!)

Directions:  
Preheat oven to 375*.
Put the rinsed black beans, salsa, and taco seasoning into your food processor. Turn on and mix until smooth.  I usually let mine run about a minute.  Next, I spray and 11x15 pan with Pam and set aside. Open your soft shells and start filling one at a time.  I use a heaping Tbsp of the bean mixture, sprinkle a little cheese on top of the mix (now is a great time to add jalapenos or anything else you'd like cooked in), then fold in the sides and roll up.  Place them in your pan as you go.  
Bake them for about 20 minutes.  Check in on them after they have baked 15 minutes to make sure they aren't getting too brown.
Once they are lightly browned, remove and let cool for about 5 minutes.  Serve with taco sauce and lettuce.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Cant wait to give these a try!! i wonder how they'd do in the freezer?? Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete