barn sale

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Easy Veggie Soup

The base of this soup is a great start to building your own version of vegetable soup!  I'll tell you how I made mine, but feel free to add a ton of other vegetables (a total of 5-6 C) to satisfy your taste buds!

Ingredients:
1  1/2 to 2 lbs. beef stew meat
1 large onion, sliced
7 cups V-8 vegetable juice
7 beef bouillon cubes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
6 C water
3 red potatoes, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and cut 
1 can lima beans
frozen corn
3-4 handfuls of uncooked egg noodles (I added noodles because I didn't like all the other veggies the original recipe called for {green beans, celery, tomatoes, okra}.)

Directions;
  • Heat soup pot, spray with cooking spray, and brown stew meat until browned on all sides.
  • Add sliced onion to beef and cook until onion is soft.  Once the onion flavor had been added, I picked all the onion out (the original recipe calls for it to be diced and left in).
  • Add V8, bouillon cubes, salt, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover.  Let simmer for 2 hours.
  • After 2 hours, add water and vegetables (and noodles if you want to be weird like me), and bring to a boil again.  Once the soup starts to boil, reduce heat to low and cover for one more hour. 
My whole family liked and enjoyed the soup!  It had a great flavor and was a perfect meal for all the cold days we've had lately!  It's really easy to make the veggie changes that suit you!  If you try it, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting recipe!! Never tried one that had lima beans, noodles and worcestershire sauce. I will have to give it a try and maybe add some barley, celery and green beans.

    ReplyDelete