barn sale

Sunday, June 2, 2013

He Was A Good Dog

Yesterday, June 1st, was a normal day in the Devine house.  Kevin went to work, I hung out with the kids, and we had watched TJ and his buddy Tracker (a friends dog we are pet sitting) wrestle and play in the yard all day.  I went out several times throughout the day to give the dogs treats, and they both were so worn out from playing so hard.  I'm strict about his feeding schedule, so I never give him more than he's supposed to get, but yesterday I gave him an extra helping of food at dinner time.  Kevin and I talked about whether or not to get TJ a friend after we were done pet sitting.  He loved the constant company.  He had a really good day yesterday. 

Kevin was able to come home a little early from work last night.  He'd been working in a 90* plant all day and when he got home he wanted a snow cone.  I told him to get one and he could help me tuck the kids in bed when he got back.  About the time I was expecting Kevin home, I walked the kids to their room to get them ready for bed.  Kevin ran in the back door, frantically asking where the emergency vet was.  I started panicking and asked why.  He said he had hit TJ, but he was still moving, but he needed to get him there fast.  I grabbed Kevin's phone and ran outside with him to find TJ and he was laying in the yard.  He was still breathing so Kevin rushed him to the vet.  I called the vet to tell them he was on his way, but by the time Kevin got there, TJ was gone.  The vet said that with his injuries there was nothing she could do. 

The kids were still awake so they knew what was going on.  Trying to explain death to a 5 and almost 3 year old is really hard.  I told them TJ was in heaven now.  They said they would just keep praying God would heal TJ.  Kevin and I stayed up talking and crying late into the night.  He was able to get some sleep, but I couldn't.  I know that if we could do anything to change what happened we would.  TJ had become such a big part of our family.  Our day, and the funny stories we told our friends and family revolved around what TJ had done.

He was crazy and wild and at times destructive, but protective and gentle with the kids.  I told him daily he "was the best doggy in the whole wide world".  He knew he was loved and lived a very happy and full 14 months with us.  He seemed invincible and I really thought we'd have him at least 10 more years. 

Kevin and I keep trying to focus on the positives - all the great stories we have about TJ.  I'm thinking I'll put together a book with pictures and stories about him for the kids.  I think we are going to let the kids make the concrete garden stepping stones as a remembrance for him.  He also spent many hours a day chasing birds, so I think I want to put up a bird feeder in the yard.

It's about 12 hours since the accident and as we laid in bed as the sun came up and heard the birds chirping, I just cried wishing TJ could have just one more day with us.  One more day to enjoy the sunny weather, one more day to chase the birds, one more day to play with the kids, one more time that I could hug him and pet those big fuzzy ears that I loved so much.  But that's the take away.  Tomorrow isn't promised.  We need to make the most of every day.  I need to remind myself of that everyday.  I get so set in my routine that I'm guilty of not making the most of every day.

Here's some of my favorite pictures of TJ and the kids.
Some of my favorite times with him were when I let him in after the kids went to bed.  He loved the one on one attention.

This was from this week.  The kids had a blast playing with him and trying to take his toys away.  TJ loved the game more.  If he didn't have any toys out back, he'd go to the front yard and get one so the kids would chase him.
 One of my all time favorite pictures of Hayden and TJ.
 I loved his half blue eye.


 Hayden LOVED TJ kisses and hugs.  They were best buddies.
 Allie loved him just as much.
 Playing in the rain with a big bone.
 He helped Kevin open his birthday gifts this past year.
 When they screen door was open, he'd sit on the step or push his face into the screen.
 He was such a pretty dog!
 Nothing melted my heart quite like those big fuzzy ears.
 When we were getting his electric fence this winter, he stayed inside for a few days.  He managed to figure out how to get on the table.  I know he was laughing at me in this picture.  He was great about cleaning up crumbs :)
 My all time favorite picture of him. 
He enjoyed all the snow this past winter!




 Celebrating his 1st Birthday this past February.


 He was very fond of Krissy, and Krissy loved when TJ was in her face.
 He was always watching out for the kids.  He was wherever they were.

4 comments:

  1. A lovely tribute to TJ and how big of a part of your family he was. So sorry for your loss :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ was more than a pet, he was a big part of your family., He was truly loved. I am so sorry for your loss., our thoughts and prayers are with all of you today and always.

    Margaret (Mamaw)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about tj :( have you heard of a poem called rainbow ridge? Might help the kids

    ReplyDelete