barn sale

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Homeschooling It Is!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Kevin and I were attending a homeschool conference in Evansville this month.  That took place this past weekend.  Kevin and I learned so much!  I didn't even know there were different approaches to teaching that you could mix and match to find the right balance for your family.  It was very eye opening. 

Kevin and I made up our minds before the conference that we were going to homeschool starting this fall, but we hadn't decided on a curriculum, so that was our major focus during the conference.  We are planning on using the Abeka studies.  Evansville Christian School uses that curriculum and it seems really traditional and structured.  We figured that would be a good place to start.  We also thought about trying to incorporate a literary approach in one area of study (like history) and see how it works.  We educated ourselves on some other options, listened to a speaker (that is a homeschooling mom of 12), and then took our overloaded brains to Canton Inn to talk about all the information we'd just been given.  We did some talking, but the conversation was so agreeable that mostly we just pigged out.  Hey, c'mon, it's Canton! 

After we filled up, we took our two unopened fortune cookies and headed home.  Allie quickly found them and opened one of them.  She asked us to read the fortune, and it read, "You are headed in the right direction.  Trust your instincts."  I'm not at all a believer in fortune cookies, but it was ironic and I do believe we are headed in the right direction for our family. 



No comments:

Post a Comment