barn sale

Monday, October 17, 2016

Weekly Happenings

I'm obviously late posting last weeks highlights, but I have two good reasons why!  The kids started fall break last Friday and I had so many great intentions to pack this time full of crafts and baking and family outings, but the cards were dealt a little differently.  I was up all night Thursday/Friday morning vomiting and having diarrhea.  It was h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e!  Thankfully Kevin was able to take off work Friday and help me and take care of the kids.  So I've spent the whole weekend trying to feel better.  Saturday I overdid it and paid for it Sunday.  Let's put all that behind me and get talking about all the good stuff that did happen last week!

Hayden and I ran to CVS to pick up a prescription for him.  While we were waiting I decided I needed a new nail color.  I had something dark in mind, maybe a nice gray, but then I saw "Good as Gold" and Hayden confirmed that it was my best choice.  It's neutral, fun, and festive but not too distracting.  I can see me using it through Christmas!  I love all Essie nail polishes and recommend this color in particular!

About 6 weeks ago we decided to order new blinds for our bedrooms.  It's something I've wanted to do for years, but just never had the extra money to do it.  We ordered the same blinds we have hanging in the kitchen (from American Blinds) but the bedroom ones have a black out shade sewn into the backs of them.  The order shipped from China (and they are called American Blinds? someone explain that to me) and took a few weeks to get here, but I'm very happy with how they look, and the quality is as great as I was expecting.


Kevin and I had a date Sunday afternoon.  He planned the whole outing, which I loved because I hate making decisions.  We started the date at the gun range.  I love shooting but don't get to practice as much as I'd like.  Then we went to downtown Evansville and rented two bikes.  This is a new thing but seemed pretty popular the day we went to the river.  We saw lots of couples riding them and we got stopped a lot by curious walkers wondering how they rode.  We made a stop at a bike shop so Kevin could inquire about a new road bike and then went to dinner at Zuki.  After the date, we came home and started a campfire and made s'mores with the kids.  We put the to bed and turned on the presidential debate.  It was pretty much a perfect day.
Guess which shot was mine :)




My in laws found some serving pieces at an auction they went to.  They asked if I was interested in them, and after one look I said YES!  They coordinate with my fiesta, and I love the little Christmas trees painted on them.  I can't wait to use them this December!  (The cats are fans too!)


Thursday evening I made a new recipe for ginger molasses muffins.  I had a similar version when we went Clearwater this summer and I think about them often.  My kids love gingersnaps so I figured these would be a hit, and I was right!  The kids raved about them and I thought they were great too.   The tops had a chewy consistency that reminded me of my mom's bran muffin recipe.  Recipe is here and I made them exactly as the recipe was written!  We had breakfast for dinner that night and I also made scrambled eggs and fruit to go along with the muffins.  :)

I'm hoping I continue to feel better every day and no one else gets what I had (although I think it may have been caused by yogurt I ate) or any sickness for that matter!  Hope you have a great week too!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you made the best of things even when you weren't feeling well. Fun new Essie color. You'll have to keep an eye out at TJ Maxx because they often have Essie polish for $3.99. Love your new Christmas dishes!!

    ReplyDelete