Art Smarts
I volunteered to teach a preschool cooking class this year at our church's Art Smarts camp. I have assisted with the class many years but I wasn't quite prepared for all the hours it would take to get ready for it (I spent 4 hours grocery shopping)! I had approximately 40 kids come to my class each day and make the recipe I'd planned. We tried many of the recipes ahead of time but there were a couple we just winged (mostly because of last minute changes due to kids having nut allergies). I'm happy to report all my students walked away fed and satisfied after class! We made: a trifle with strawberries, bananas, nilla wafers in a white chocolate cream/pudding, fruit pizzas (sugar cookies + cream cheese "sauce" + fruits) , pumpkin waffles (they were a huge hit!), salsa and white cheese sauce, and a make-your-own trail mix. Be watching for the pumpkin waffle recipe on here ;)
Quilt
After my grandma passed away, my mom was showing me all of her clothes she'd brought home. She hated to just throw them away, was leaning towards donating them, and I had the idea of making something with them. I had seen an invitation to take part in a quilt-a-long. I've always wanted to make a quilt but it seemed daunting. The quilt-a-long was broken down into steps and gave you a week to complete each step. By the end of July, you're supposed to have a quilt top. So, I decided to get on board with the sewing party and use my grandmas cotton shirts to make the quilt top. It's slowly coming together and I've already embraced the fact it's going to be far from perfect! I didn't use the correct sewing foot for the first couple steps and things aren't matching up quite like they are supposed to... But it will be a meaningful quilt, I've learned a lot, and it was fun to make the same pattern as so many other people at the same time!
Trying to decide if I should mix/match or keep blocks the same material... I decided to keep them the same!
Odds & Ends
We haven't been home much this month. Kevin's worked a lot of over time, and he's gone back to 2nd shift. Lots of going and not much resting! I hope the last half of the month is a different change in pace though. Allie has a birthday coming up next month, school starts in a few weeks, Kevin and I have been planning projects, setting goals for the school year, and reviewing our finances and budget. Seems like the new school year is a great time to make new goals! I may post more on that later. But here are more pictures from the first half of July.
4th of July party at Kevin's work
Charlie's breeder posted new kittens for sale and I told Kevin that I can't wait to be an old cat lady. And maybe day I'll start a breeding program and never sell any of them! Haha! (<-- not really going to happen.)
Austins foot is healing very well. Just this weekend we were able to keep it unwrapped. He thinks he can't walk on it, but I think the new skin is just sensitive.
Allie found this hat and insisted on keeping it. Reminds me of an old lady hat but it looks cute on her.
Hayden's been going crazy to play the guitar. I finally let him one afternoon!
Sunny's little nub is sprouting feathers. We were hoping it would do that! She's healing very well!
Our first group of chickens have a foot infection called Bumblefoot. It doesn't effect their eggs, but it needs to be taken care of because it could injure their legs. We found out that when their roost (place they sleep) is made of 2x4s, they are 100% gaurenteed to get it because it puts uneven pressure on their feet. If only I'd known that before. Sigh. We may try to experiment with some creams/oils before resorting to at home surgery. I'm trying to avoid surgery at all costs because cutting open 16 chicken feet sounds like no fun. But I'll do what I need to do.
Guess that's about it! Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying what's left of summer break!
















No comments:
Post a Comment