On Monday, July 22, Hayden started his first day of kindergarten. Since we chose to homeschool, our schedule can be really flexible. We decided to start the school year early so we could take a few weeks off when Baby #4 arrives.
We chose the Abeka curriculum. We do 4 "subjects" a day: phonics, writing, numbers, and bible stories. Usually if I do the first three, Kevin will do the story with him. He's a little bored with the numbers because they started off kind of slow. Right now it's just counting to 10, which he's known how to do for a couple years. The days worth of work usually takes us 45 minutes. I've been told as the lessons go on, they get longer. We start the school day promptly at 9am and are done before 10 so there's plenty of time to run errands or cook lunch - just whatever needs done!
Day #1 was fun. We took pictures of Hayden to celebrate his first day of school. He got a new caddy that was full of school supplies he'll need. Allie was so excited too and keeps saying, "I want to do homeschool,"so I'm going to look for a little letter book for her to work on too. While we are doing school we let her play in her room with toys or watch a Barney video (which is something she is really into right now).
Kevin is teaching a morning or two a week so Hayden will be use to either one of us. Kevin has also been great about making sure we are keeping the "learning" fun and upbeat. I tend to get a little OCD about his writing and his best writing day was when Kevin was encouranging him and giving him high fives. He actually didn't want to stop practicing letter "e".
Throughout the day I'll quiz Hayden and ask him things we talked about - like, "What sound does i make? What sound does u make?" I love being hands on and knowing what he's learning. It seems like a win win for all of us!

handsome guy, good luck on the school year
ReplyDeleteseems like only yesterday you were born, look at you now., Mr. Kindergarter
mamaw