barn sale

Friday, April 7, 2017

A Decade with Him

It's hard to believe we've been married a decade!  I thought today I'd share 10 books I've loved (and there's a few I still want to read on this list) about marriage and being a wife.  I also made a list of 10 things I have learned in 10 years of marriage.  Obviously, I have a long way to go, but we've come really far from where we started :)

10 Books
  1. The Bible
  2. The Love Dare
  3. Love & Respect
  4. Sacred Marriage
  5. 31 Days to a Happy Husband
  6. The 5 Love Languages
  7. The Whole Hearted Wife
  8. Cherish
  9. Swipe Right
  10. The Power of a Praying Wife
10 Things I've Learned in 10 years
  1. Date nights are really important.  It's important to keep having fun together just the two of you!
  2. There's going to be rough days, weeks, and seasons.  I think being sleep deprived (from young kids) increases the frequency of rough days!
  3. Get all the skeletons out of your closet. I don't think you can really truly share oneness with someone that doesn't know everything about you.
  4. Every marriage has problems.  They may be different ones than you have, but everyone has them!  This is one reason why I love my weekly bible study so much.  I see women at church and I think their lives look so perfect, but once we get talking, I find out they don't have a perfect life like I think.
  5. Talk to a counselor when you need help working through an issue.  We started counseling after a few years of marriage and went to the same lady for several years.  We haven't been in awhile, but we learned some valuable tools for communicating.  
  6. Appreciation vs Depreciation - Kevin really wanted me to read The Love Dare, and I'd highly recommend it, which is why it's on my list above.  Day 7 talks about spending time appreciating your spouse rather than time depreciating your spouse. This topic deserves a whole post,but for time sake....  The quick breakdown is your heart has an appreciation room and a depreciation room from your spouse.  In the appreciation room, written on the walls are things you love about your spouse.  Usually you fill the walls while you're still dating.  The depreciation room is all the annoyances, struggles, & conflicts you have.  People end up divorcing when they're spending too much time in this room.  The book says the only time you should go by this room is to see how to pray for your spouse.  This concept was so eye-opening for me.  It made me really focus on all the good there is in Kevin
  7. Ladies, take compliments from your husband!  I'm still learning how to do this.  I want to model it well for my girls, and I love how the boys are learning from Kevin how to give compliments.  Kevin has told me for years he thinks I'm prettier now than the day we got married.  I'd roll my eyes, and think about everything I dislike about myself and think 'he can't mean it', but he really does mean it!  His compliments boost my confidence.  
  8. Work on oneness.  The more I'm reading my bible, the more I'm being convicted about this.  It's showing me areas we still need to work on.  God says marriage is two people becoming one.  I'd say for most of our marriage, it was two people being two people.  But I want oneness now!
  9. You can never communicate too much. 
  10. Patience.  We've both learned patience in the last 10 years.  With each other, with the kids, with daily life.  I think learning it makes life more enjoyable.  And we aren't perfect at it.  I think we both still fail daily.  But we also got better about asking for forgiveness.
And Lastly..
10 Things I Love About Kevin 
  1. He thinks about me often.  And I know he really loves me
  2. He's a great dad
  3. He makes me laugh all the time
  4. He's a great griller
  5. He's Mr. Fix It
  6. He's great at his job
  7. He's a good listener (I'm usually the talker!)
  8. He supports and encourages me 100%
  9. He's generous
  10. He's always willing to help - me or anyone that needs help

I'm really excited for the next decade!  And the ones after that!  Being married definitely has ugly moments, but looking back, all the stands out is the beautiful and the good.  There's no one else I'd rather have by my side!
Love you Kev!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment