barn sale

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Eye-ronic

Last month was an exciting month for our little kindergartner!  Allie lost a front tooth, and picked out a new pair of pink glasses.  I was really excited about her new glasses.  Our optometrist doesn't carry many durable options for kids frames.  We tried metal frames and plastic frames this past year, and the plastic held up the longest, but they didn't even make it 9 months.

I called around town to see if any place carried any brands that were more durable, and ironically, the place I said I'd never ever go back to was the only places in town that had something worth buying.  If you're wondering what happened that was so bad, I'll tell you.... they use to be our family eye doctor.  At the time, we didn't have good eye insurance.  They covered like $15 on frames or $30 on contacts yearly.  That year I purchased glasses instead of contacts.  It was also the year Kevin got new glasses.  By the time it was said and done, we ended up spending close to $500 on eye exams and new glasses for the both of us.  Several months after that eye appointment, I ran our of contacts and instead of ordering through the vision place, I ordered from 1800Contacts.  They have to confirm my prescription with the the optometrist, which is all really seamless and easy on my end.  They always have great deals, quick and sometimes free shipping, and at the time, I liked they'd be delivered to my door.

Fast forward a year or so, and I was due for an eye exam and I was completely out of contacts.  I called and they couldn't get me in for an appointment for a week, but I needed contacts that day.  The bad thing about disposable lenses is they break down over the a couple weeks you wear them, and when you don't switch them as often as you should, (*ahem* that's me) you can get bad headaches.  So, I called the vision place, pleading with them to let me buy one pair of contacts so I could get by until my appointment, but they were snippy and told me since I hadn't purchased contacts from them, they wouldn't be selling me any to get me by.  I was furious.  It wasn't like they didn't make any money off of us!  They took us to the cleaner on glasses.... so that's why I swore I'd never go back.  Terrible customer service, in my opinion.

But don't you hate when you have to eat your words?  Getting Allie a good, durable pair of glasses was my priority, so I sucked up all my bad feelings, and went in and ordered her darling pink frames.  The staff was still the same people, and I'm sure they didn't remember me, but boy I remembered them!  And to be totally honest, they were very nice and helpful this time.  The optometrist fitted Allie's glasses when they came in and she was so super sweet to Allie.  I wanted to tell her to ditch her office staff and hire nicer people, but I kept my thoughts to myself.  :) 
Her pink glasses came in on Valentine's Day :)

One front too out, one very wiggly one left to fall out!



No comments:

Post a Comment