barn sale

Thursday, May 2, 2013

CrunchWrap Copycat

My husband loves some Taco Bell.  I have many memories of eating tacos early in our marriage because we had a Taco Bell down the street from our first house.  When they introduced the "crunchwrap" I knew they made that taco for me!  I always had a hard time deciding if I wanted a hard shell or soft shell, and it's a gooey, messy, delicious combination of both! 

I met a friend for lunch yesterday.  I watched her enjoy the Taco Bell crunchwrap she had brought to eat.  (My turkey sandwhich just didn't hit the spot!)  Last night I was browsing Pinterest and saw a recipe on EmilyBites for "Taco Wrap Delux" - a knock off of the crunchwrap but only half the points!  (The real crunchwrap is 14.5 points, and this homemade version is only 7 points+!)

I knew there was no way this recipe could fail.  Sometimes Taco Bell skimps us on cheese, or they forget I said no tomatoes and sour cream, so it was nice to make my own just the way I wanted! 


Here's my adapted version:
1 lb 96/4 lean ground beef 
1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
8 tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory Low Carb, High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas - kinda pricey @ $4.50 - and located at the very bottom of the tortilla section in Walmart)
1 C Tostitos Con Queso Medium (located with the chips)
24 tortilla chips (I used Tostitos)
1 can fat free refried beans
lettuce
taco sauce
*You may also like (2Tbsp) fat free sour cream, tomatoes, taco sauce - all are 0 points!*
  1. Brown the beef.  I didn't have any extra fat in my skillet, but if you do, drain it off, then add the seasoning and water.  Heat until the water is gone.
  2. While the beef cooks, heat your refried beans and add a little water to get them a smoother consistency.
  3. Pre-heat a skillet to brown your crunchwrap.
  4. Place a tortilla on a plate and add 2 TBSP con queso sauce.  Microwave for about 20 seconds to heat cheese and tortilla (it makes it easier to fold).  Next add 1/4 C (or less) refried beans, 1/4 C of ground beef, 6 tortilla chips (I crunched mine up).  Fold it up and place it in a skillet to brown.  After a minute or two, flip over and brown the other side.  I don't like my lettuce warm, so I put my lettuce on the side.  Kevin loves sour cream and added that to the inside of his wrap. 
  5. When my wrap was done, I opened it up and added a little taco sauce.  It's zero points as long as you don't go way overboard!
All four of us cleaned our plates.  The kids were so excited when I told them we were going to eat them again for dinner :)  I like the homemade version equally as much as Taco Bells!  
If you stick to the ingredients I listed, and the amounts, one homemade crunchwrap = 7p+.  If you don't use the refried beans, it's only 6p+

No comments:

Post a Comment